Thursday, March 22, 2012

Zilly girl!

RR RLR R RLR RL      Wow! Seems so very simple when you see it written down, but keeping up the pattern reminds me of tongue twisters. We can all say them slowly, but the faster you go, the more twisted it becomes. We all know that I am rhythmically challenged, to put it kindly.  So, we start off in place with the teacher counting it out either 11 123 or rr rlr etc..I  keep up like a pro...but walk? And change hand positions? And if she doesn't count aloud, I completely am confused by my classmates who are ALL on the wrong beat- in unison.  I practiced between classes, but not enough to create a memory for it. As with each new thing we learn from this teacher, she starts off very slowly and then goes faster and faster until it seems we can't do it another second.
 Like with most things I am learning in dance- I seem to try so very hard, watching, repeating, watching a thousand videos until I feel completely lost. Then, I give up and do something else for a few days and the move or idea will just finally break through all my brick walls of self doubt,  and self criticism. Each time, there is this Ah-HA! moment when I just "get' it. I may not be able to do  it well, but I understand it when I stop trying so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment