Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March, 2012

After one of the top five days in my worst days at work today. Then rushed to week two of beginning belly dance with undulations, tribal camel, with arms, belly roll up. Zills! Traveling with zills. And more chest lifts than I thought was humanly possible. I do enjoy learning new things-but I am a very slow learner. It is just in my nature to analyze things, watch them, think about it and learn it in very slow motion. I was always the last student in nursing school to try the new skill-like starting an IV. I wanted to read about it, study it, learn the rules, the anatomy. Then I wanted to watch every other student do them and hear the critiques. Then I wanted to do it, very slowly and perfectly. It is like that with dance. For instance in learning the 3/4 shimmy- I tried in class and just didn't get it. Then I watched on you tube. Then bought a particular video that I watch often. I practiced until I actually pull either my internal oblique or my psoas and could barely move for weeks and managed to actually cause my belly button to move to the right about an inch or so.
This dance class really moves quickly, and it challenges my nature. I want a long lecture complete with muscle descriptions, anatomy lessons, drawings, demos, what NOT to do and then try whatever move at the slowest possible speed until my form is as perfect as it can be-my knees are bent, pelvis tucked etc. After hours or days or maybe even weeks...I would like to try it at half tempo and move up very slowly.  And at that rate...I won't be dancing much.
So, I have to suck it up. I have to get up earlier to fit in practice before work. Do some serious yoga stretches at lunch at work and come home to Rachel's or Zoe's drills at night. I am going to keep up at Jamballah this year.
Oh, and ZILLS! I didn't get it during class. But at the end, I looked at the pattern written out and said..Oh, you start with 3 1s, then 2, then 1-2..you take away a one every time. She looked at me like I had lost my mind...but I showed her how my mind finally grasped the pattern...not R-R RLR, R RLR, RL, but 11 123, 1 123, 1-2...but in my head it is 3 1s 23, 2 1s 23, 1-2......I actually can't hear the rhythm yet without some serious effort, but it is getting better every day.
Imma belly dancah...a snake charmah...

No comments:

Post a Comment